Environment - Robust Development While Managing Risks - 6
Resolution #149 : Environment - Robust Development While Managing Risks - 6 (Official French version)
We need to ensure that the largest number of people benefit from Québec natural resources. The Québec government must put in place a regulatory regime that fosters their exploitation by the private sector while respecting the rights of all citizens. Such as:
- Hydroelectricity is a clean, inexpensive and sustainable source of energy. The creation of lakes and reservoirs has an environmental impact and it improves the quality of life for human beings.
- Québec mines provide needed materials to improve the standard of living and the life expectancy of human beings.
- Québec forestry (planting and harvesting of wood) is the source of green building material and of abundant renewable energy. Its development has limited environmental impact and reduces the level of harvesting from natural forests.
- Québec agriculture benefits from genetic science that enables yields to increase while reducing the environmental impact. More abundant and cheaper food increases health and food security for the population. More prolific and resistant plants require less fertilizer, pesticides and irrigation. Higher yields require less farmland, reducing pressure on the natural environment.
- Québec aquaculture can be an important source of healthy food and can ease the pressure on wild fish stocks.