Making Québec a Leader in Accessibility Healthcare Services: Distinguishing Between Funding and Delivery of Services
Resolution #22 : Making Québec a Leader in Accessibility Healthcare Services: Distinguishing Between Funding and Delivery of Services (Official French version)
The difference between the funding and the delivery of services must be kept in mind in any discussion regarding the healthcare system.
Funding: Doctors fees, hospital fees and other services can be paid either by the public system or by the patient (or their insurer). In Canada, governments pay for approximately 70% of healthcare services. The other 30% is paid by group benefits or by the patient who pays out of their own pocket (for example, prescriptions, dental care, vision care, orthopedics and cosmetic surgery).
Delivery: The nature of the public or private sector that delivers these services has nothing to do with the one paying for the services. It rather depends on the ownership and governance of the organization and the employment status of professionals who deliver these services, regardless of who pays for them. In Québec, there are more than 3,000 private health institutions and organizations across the province (medical clinics, whether covered by the RAMQ or not, dental, optometry, rehabilitation, physiotherapy, chiropractic and podiatric clinics, dietary services, audiology, dentures, optical, private medical laboratories, orthotics and prosthesis, and home care, etc...).